Dental Floss or simply the flossing technique is one of the basic oral cleaning methods. Here a thin filament thread-like product is used for removing food particle or any plaque formed on the teeth. This helps with cleaning the portions where a regular toothbrush won’t reach easily.
It is a good practice to perform flossing once in a day, but it will be effective only if you know the right way of doing it.
How to Floss Your Teeth Properly and Correctly
If the plaque is not taken care of, then it will lead to tooth decay and other gum diseases. Using the flossing technique, you can get the plaque removed and also take care of the oral hygiene. Check on the complete step-by-step guide on how to get started with the water flosser, and it is given as follows:
- First, you will need 18 inches of the floss thread, break up the floss and then wind one end of the thread on the middle finger. Similarly, the other end should be wounded on the other hand’s middle finger, leaving out an inch or 2 inches of floss in the middle portion for actual floss job.
- Now you have to hold the floss firmly between your thumb and the forefinger. Just like the way you take the pinch of salt using your fingers, here the floss has to be set tightly between the fingers.
- Next step is to guide the floss between the teeth and rub them gently on the surface of the teeth. Just make sure that you perform this with a gentle motion, as it could harm the delicate gum portion. Flossing process gets different depending on the teeth state. For example, teeth with braces, permanent retainer, etc will have to be dealt according to the need.
- So, keep the floss just beneath the gum line, and work on the teeth portion only.
- You have to move the floss in a curve style along the teeth surface. Another important portion is the area just below the gumline that is hard to reach for your toothbrush bristles. Move the floss along this location, and get all the dirt removed from here.
- Just make sure that you don’t snap the floss and bruise your gums. These are the delicate element that needs to be protected during the flossing time.
- While moving from one tooth to another, make use of the cleaner portion of the floss.
- Repeat the same back and forth motion to remove the food particles from the other tooth.
This is the method that you must follow for all your dental floss sessions. There are two types of floss which are recommended as per the Colgate team, and they are namely – the first one is the multifilament floss and the monofilament floss. Multifilament is made of Nylon, whereas the other monofilament is made of PTFE.
If you are going to perform flossing with braces, then it is recommended to have someone for assistance.
While flossing, do not forget the back side of the tooth which is the most skipped portion. Well, that’s how you get started with the flossing. For the best flossing, you require two main things – the right way of using the floss and the other thing is the Attention during the flossing.
We hope that this article gave you a clear explanation on How to floss your teeth correctly. If you have a word to share with us, then comment them below on this post. Follow us on Official Website for regular updates.